NOVEMBER 2006


                            Martha Belton as Jacqueline Ward Taylor Welcomed us to

                                                                   Ghost Walk 2006


                                                 Photograph's by Jim Gritzbaugh


Sixteen Minden Memories friends met at the Holiday Inn and drove to Gibsland for dinner Friday, Nov. 10th. We were pleased to hear that Minden is getting some new restaurants. We would prefer to have all our dinners in Minden. The business community and City of Minden has always made us made us feel so welcome when we come back for our Minden Memories Events.

Earlene Mendenhall Lyle took a picture of the photographer   

Jim Gritzbaugh         

Standing, Connie Perryman (1952 from Henderson, Texas talking to Roy Baggett (1955) from Blue Ridge, Texas , Mary Baggett from Blue Ridge, Texas, Karen Dulany from Omaha, Nebraska, John Dulany (1958) in the red shirt from Omaha, Nebraska  and Bobby Moorehead (1954) at the end of the table from Minden, Louisiana next to Connie Perryman.

L-R, Lani Thrash and Richard Thrash  (Class of 1958)  from North Carolina, Rob Martin (Class of 1955)  from Seabrook, Texas Bob Lyle (Class of 1953 and Earlene Mendenhall Lyle  (Class of 1956) from Alabama and Linda Mims Martin (Class of 1955 from Seabrook, Texas.

L-R, Ann Mays Harlan (1958) Minden, La., Drew Chreene (1955 graduate of Doyline; Resident of Minden0 Sandra Tubberville Moorehead and Bobby Moorehead (19540 of Minden, Louisiana.

L-R, Mary Baggett, (TX), Karen and John Dulany (1958) from Omaha, Nebraska , Ann Mays Harlan (1958) and Drew Chreene, & Sandra Moorehead all of Minden.

Sue Richardson Kinsey also attended the dinner but is not in any of the pictures.


THE BLUE MOON - Located on Main Street - Saturday 11:00a.m.

This Restaurant Comes Highly Recommended

This is Ginger Sutter and the two ladies who work for her at the Blue Moon

Ginger Sutter and Sherry Gresham Gritzbaugh

We are here but where is Schelley Brown!!! Ginger is a retired U.S. Navy Veteran.

Connie Perryman, Class of 1952, buying a cup of Ginger's Laite

Connie Perryman (Class of 1952, Carolyn Sale McDaniel,

Class of 1954, ans Sherry Gresham Gritzbaugh, Class of 1955)

Jim Gritzbaugh was there. He took the picture.

...........................................From the Blue Moon we went on the Ghost Walk................................................

                                  THE GHOST WALK

Sherry Gresham Gritzbaugh, Dr. Carter Norman (furnished the golf cart)

and Earlene Mendenhall Lyle

Sherry, Dr. Norman and Earlene again

Joe Luck  portraying Thomas Alberta Glass

Dr. Gary Daniels, Class of 1952

Daniel and Alice Stewart

Dr. Albert G. Harper was portrayed but Jim failed to snap his photo.

Sam Cheatham did take his picture. See Ghostwalk 2006.

Rutledge C. & Alma Thompkins

Unknown Grave portrayed by the granddaughter of Dr. and Mrs. Gary Daniels


Elizabeth Hamilton

George & William Crichton entertained us as we passed by.

That was a pleasant surprise.

George, William and their mother Mary Crichton

George Carroll  Hunter and Larry Hunter

The cokes were a nice treat as we traveled thru.

Another view of George Carroll and Larry Hunter

Frederick J. Moess & His two wives Mary Mackey & Mary Fuller Moess

 The golf cart was compliments of Dr. Carter Norman. A Mother

& her daughter are in the front. No-one else would get in the cart

so Virginia Hyatt Bartlett and I rode on the back seat.  

The Civil War Trench

The story of Captain Robert Ellicombe and his Confederate son is a n myth, a fake, a tall tale, a good story to tell around the
old campfire, but a story that holds no truth whatsoever.  This is one of those stories that is reprinted and forwarded to
others and makes its way around the Internet around Memorial Day, Independence Day and Veterans Day.  The story gets
printed in papers, newsletters, and, sad to say, even on some military websites as the true version of how the bugle call of
Taps came into existence.

 Here is the MYTH:

"We in the United States have all heard the haunting song, 'Taps.'  It's the song that gives us that lump in our throats and usually tears in our eyes.  But, do you know the story behind the song?  If not, I think you will be interested to find out about its humble beginnings.  Reportedly, it all began in 1862 during the Civil War, when Union Army Captain Robert Ellicombe was with his men near Harrison's Landing in Virginia.  The Confederate Army was on the other side of the narrow strip of land.

During the night, Captain Ellicombe heard the moans of a soldier who lay severely wounded on the field.  Not knowing if it was a Union or Confederate soldier, the Captain decided to risk his life and bring the stricken man back for medical attention.  Crawling on his stomach through the gunfire, the Captain reached the stricken soldier and began pulling him toward his encampment.

When the Captain finally reached his own lines, he discovered it was actually a Confederate soldier, but the soldier was dead.

The Captain lit a lantern and suddenly caught his breath and went numb with shock.  In the dim light, he saw the face of the soldier.  It was his own son.  The boy had been studying music in the South when the war broke out.  Without telling his father, the boy enlisted in the Confederate Army.

The following morning, heartbroken, the father asked permission of his superiors to give his son full military burial despite his enemy
status.  His request was only partially granted.  The Captain had asked if he could have a group of Army band members play a funeral
dirge for his son at the funeral.  The request was turned down since the soldier was a Confederate.

But, out of respect for the father, they did say they could give him only one musician.  The Captain chose a bugler.  He asked the bugler to play a series of musical notes he had found on a piece of paper in the pocket of the dead youth's uniform.  This wish was granted.

The haunting melody we now know as 'Taps,' used at military funerals, was born."

 We know much about the two men involved with the creation of Taps.  Both Daniel Adams Butterfield and Oliver Willcox
Norton survived the Civil War and went on to become prosperous and respected businessmen and citizens.  They wrote
about their Civil War experiences and of the creation of Taps in July 1862.

There is no proof that a Captain Robert Ellicombe ever existed.  The myth gives no indication of what unit or state he
served.  In order to be believed, one needs to produce muster, discharge or pension papers and background history of both
father and son, units, etc.  Also, where is the son's grave?  There is no basis at all to the story, except that it also occurred
near Harrison's Landing in July 1862, where the true birth of Taps took place.

The Taps myth took on a life of its own and was even printed as fact in an Ann Landers or Dear Abby column.  A retraction
was later printed.  It has acquired a renewed life on the Internet and is spread by many unsuspecting but well-meaning
people who believe it to be true.  It is unfortunate to see it on websites, especially military and veterans' sites that should
know better. It is hoped that those who are interested in history will stop the myth.

HERE IS THE TRUE STORY OF TAPS                                              

As the story goes, General Butterfield was not pleased with the call for Extinguish Lights, feeling that the call was too formal to signal the days end, and with the help of the brigade bugler, Oliver Willcox Norton (1839-1920), wrote Taps to honor his men while in camp at Harrison?s Landing, Virginia, following the Seven Days battle. These battles took place during the Peninsular Campaign of 1862. The new call, sounded that night in July, 1862, soon spread to other units of the Union Army and was reportedly also used by the Confederates. Taps was made an official bugle call after the war.

N. J. Sandlin

Local bagpiper Vernon Love was positioned in the cemetery with his bagpipe music providing a backdrop the the 13 tour stops.

John & Ada Jack Carver Snell

Nationally known folk artist Cora Lou Brown Robinson portrays author Ada Jack Carver Snell. whose "A Pink Inheritance" short story was published in 1915 in the Designer magazine.  Ron Robinson plays the part of John Snell.

The cemetery was started about the year 1840. This was when the Col. J. L. Lewis set aside the nucleus of the present site as a burial ground, and in 1854 when the town was incorporated, the land was deeded to the town. Additions were made from time to time by Samuel Culpepper, Christopher Chaffee and Captain Goodwill.

Mrs. Mary A. Smith - 22 April 1840 The first interment of which records were found.

Here are some interesting dates...

Could Mary A. Smith be part of the family of

James Bradford Smith born 01 Sep 1799 died 20 Oct. 1863? He was a mason.

Note how young his wife was...could she have been a second wife?

Lucinda Sallas Smith wife of J. B. Smith, born 10 Aug. 1816 near Warringtom, Warren Co. Ga. died 1883.

His succession would probably be in Claiborne Parish if he had one.


The first marked grave was for little Sarah Emily Pennell - 13 Sep 1843 - She was 9 months and 3 days old.

If you know who her parents were e-mail MindenMemories@AOL.Com and tell us so we can add it to the history

of Webster Parish.


The second  Samuel B. Harper born 24 May 1790 died 12 Oct. 1853 and married Ann Snigers Jones born 15 Nov. 1805 died 01 Mar. 1887.

A note from Schelly Brown...(See Ghost Walk 2004 and Ghost Walk 2005)

Dr. Harper was the son of the Harper buried under the big magnolia tree.  The part of Dr. Harper was played by Mike Harper owner of Harper Motors in Minden.  Mike is the Great Great Grandson of the first Harpers and the Great Grandson of Dr. Harper.  I have sent his script with this email. 

We have not done Samuel B.  we have done his son Dr Harper.  Dr. Harper was portrayed by Mike Harper both years.  Mike is Dr. Harpers Great grandson

My name is Albert Galatin Harper

My ancestors were Quakers from the Pennsylvania area. They later migrated into Virginia and the Carolina's back in the mid 1700's.

My father Samuel Burgess Harper was born in Georgia he died in 1853 and was the first person to be buried in this cemetery. His grave is over there under that old magnolia tree along with other Harper family members. He left Georgia about 1923 and went to LaGrange, Tennessee. There he served for a time as Sheriff. This was during the time Davy Crockett was active in Tennessee. I believe that my father Samuel and Davy had close ties. My father moved in 1849 the Harper family moved once again to Magnolia, Ark. My mother actually gave Magnolia its name. He moved close to Minden after the purchase of a plantation, which back then was near Flat Creek, which then, was considered not Webster but Claiborne Parish. In his last will and testament he left me a good bit of property and his gold watch. The rest was divided between me and my three brothers and three sisters.
I was a graduate of Tulane Medical School, which I attended after I got out of the Confederate Army. I was a Second Lieutenant, with the Louisiana Cavalry, I was captured by the Yankees at Brownsville, Mississippi in 1862. I was in a POW camp in Ohio. I was declared exchanged in 1862. I also served with the Minden Rangers Louisiana Volunteers.
I was married three times. My first wife died in childbirth. My second wife Geraldine Nuckolls bore me five children one died at birth. She was 34 when she passed away leaving me with small children to raise. One year later I married a woman ten years younger than my second wife and also the sister to my second wife. I called her Letia she gave me 6 more children. We had a happy life together and she lived until 1925. We knew how to make the children happy. When they were cross and fussing I would get out my fiddle and Letia would play her piano. Some of my favorite songs like Old Dan Tucker and the Arkansas Traveler always put a smile on everyone's face. We would sometimes load all the children up in the buggy to go to Flat Lick to visit my mother or Grandma Harper as the children called her. I always would stop at the store owned by Mr. Krause at Dutchtown. Mr. Krause owed me money so our deal was to let the children get treats at his store when we visited Flat Lick.
We lived at the fork of the Homer and Germantown road, where everything passed, especially on Saturday afternoons. All of my daughters attended the Minden Female College this being the only Female Academy left west of the Mississippi after the War Between the States.
I was the first Coroner of Webster Parish. I was just a country doctor who visited my patients all over the Parish with my horse and buggy. Everyone called me "Dr. Bert." The stress and strain of war and the rigors of the cold sleepless nights making my rounds of the sick finally took their toll on me in January of 1891. My beloved wife carried on and managed well she raised nine children after I died. She collected only one year's debt from people who owed him. Later she moved to Shreveport and lived in Allendale, and from there she moved to Park Place on Fairfield Hill. One of the neighbors said of Letia when she died, "Mrs. Harper was the General, she sat on that porch and ruled this hill." She joined me on the other side in 1925. My name is Mike Harper and Dr. Bert was my Great-Grandfather.